From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:57:15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 03:15:03 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
> Let's try to start with a common workflow for the user: > - an user with an ancient version of portage syncs > - it requires a package > - it looks at the cache ($portdir/metadata/cache/) > - picks the best entry from the ones showing an eapi it understands > - keeps going. > > Apparently we do not have any issue...
...assuming the metadata cache is valid. That isn't always the case.
> 2- The user will get unpredictable behavior, but portage tell you > when upgrading is needed...
Not if the version you'd need to do metadata generation is ~arch it doesn't.
> 3- you'd have to disable them
Yes, tell everyone to disable all the overlays that make use of a few features only in ~arch package managers... That'll work...
> In this case we have a problem if the source step is a single one, > portage won't know in advance how to behave. > > So the first step has to be split in two: > - first portage discovers which is the eapi version
...which it can't do, because it doesn't know the EAPI.
> The problem is that right now sourcing is done by having an > instructed bash. So the simplest way to get the first step done is > parsing the ebuild file with something different like file(1) and > then instruct bash and do the parsing.
file(1) can't parse ebuilds. Only an ebuild implementation can parse ebuilds, and only if it already knows the EAPI.
> What is proposed in glep-55 seems to aim to solve both issues at the > same time (it isn't stated) by switching file extension every time > the eapi is changed. This is slightly against the principle of the > least surprise and apparently is disliked by enough people to lead > the situation to be discussed in the council.
There's no surprise at all. It's extremely clear. -- Ciaran McCreesh