From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Agenda (draft) for November meeting 2009-11-09
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:14:27
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote: > > I'd like council to discuss what I consider a major bug in PMS - > > see the discussion at > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-pms/msg_95a13d880eb521b13d7090f30350c26 > >a.xml > > Could the both of you please flesh out a proposal on how you'd expect > the council to solve these issues?
Problem: Usage of bash 3.2 features in ebuilds and eclasses where PMS forces bash 3.0 Apart from potentially breaking backwards compatibility etc. this is an inconsistency between specification and product. Possible solutions: 1) Forbid bash 3.2 features. Impact: Cleanup of many eclasses, lots of work for maintainers, removes actively used and useful functionality. Makes many people unhappy. 2) Fix PMS to require bash 3.2 Impact: one-line patch to PMS, small reduction in backwards compatibility As bash 3.2 was added Oct 2006 and stabled May 2007 this would only affect systems not updated for over 2 years, which is far beyond our usual support horizon. Thus compatibility impact is negligible. 3) Ignore it Impact: Well, it's what we've been doing for a year now. Seems to work out ok, but it's slightly unsatisfying. 4) something else? I strongly suggest (2) since it has a very low impact, comes at no cost to maintainers and removes the need for endless further discussions of the topic.