From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:48:54
Note that while I inadvertantly cross posted (I was intending on
cc'ing council@g.o, not the ml), doubt they need to be cc'd
further- my original attention was to effectively ensure they were
paying aware of the details of this so that when I took it to them
folk were informed.

CC'ing gentoo-council so folk following it there know it moved
over to -dev.  Your discussion of devmanual relevance needs some -dev
consensus anyways before the council should be deciding on it.

Also the cross posting is making betelgeuse cry anyways (and pissing
off my procmail setup) ;)

Not just my proposal- council contradicted it via even letting pkg_pretend into EAPI3 (now EAPI4): http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-council@l.g.o/msg00493.html
> | Occasionally, ebuilds will have conflicting USE flags for > | functionality. Checking for them and returning an error is not a > | viable solution. Instead, you must pick one of the USE flags in > | conflict to favour. > > [1] <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/>
I honestly consider the ebuild silently making decisions on the user's behalf *worse*. Consider if openoffice silently made decisions like that- 4 hours later it'll wind up choosing the option you didn't really want and you'll be in a foul mood. Frankly is the devmanual even relevant on at this point beyond good practices btw? Last I looked through it, there was a rather unhealthy mix of good policy that we follow, and policy that isn't relevant anymore- in need of some cleanup at the very least. ~harring