Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship

Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-council
Lists: gentoo-council: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
To: gentoo-council@g.o
From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: Vote: What next?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:58:14 +0100
Hash: SHA1

On 2008.05.20 22:14, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 22:01 Tue 20 May     , Roy Bamford wrote:
> > On 2008.05.20 21:31, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > >   2) Hold a 1-week vote asking all devs whether we should have
> > > elections;
> > 
> > A vote about a vote seems like wasting time if you don't get the
> answer 
> > you want.
> Sure, it's a calculated risk. There's a reasonable chance it will go 
> either way, if responses on -project are any indication of the entire 
> dev pool. One way saves a lot of time now, the other way just means a 
> week of waiting that would probably happen anyway in gearing up for 
> an
> election.
> Thanks,
> Donnie
> -- 
> gentoo-council@g.o mailing list


Such a vote would not extend the council term, whichever way it went.
With one outcome, you hold elections now, with the other, in six weeks.

Do it now, you can have a compressed election time frame. A month 
at least it did for the trustee election. You get returned for a new 12 
month term of office. If nobody stands against you there is no vote, 
are returned unopposed.

Wait 6 weeks, then you are into the two month election process. 

Provided the current council will all stand for re-election, I would go 
for the renewed mandate now. It will avoid the two month protracted 
election process.

If you go for the vote of confidence and win but only just, what sort 
of message does that send ?

My concern is that there will be a low turnout because none of the devs 
care very much for the politics of this situation. They are mostly 
engineers not managers/politicians.  The ones with strong feelings for 
process over common sense will vote against, so a vote of no confidence 
could be carried by apathy. That's the major risk I see. 

I've probably said too much, so I'll stop.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

- -- 

Roy Bamford
(NeddySeagoon) a member of
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)


gentoo-council@g.o mailing list

Re: Vote: What next?
-- Donnie Berkholz
Lists: gentoo-council: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Re: Vote: What next?
Next by thread:
Re: Vote: What next?
Previous by date:
Re: Vote: What next?
Next by date:
Re: Vote: What next?

Updated Jun 17, 2009

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-council mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.