From: Jason Alonso <jbalonso@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello!
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 07:28:45
1 > Who knows, maybe I'll pickup this project this Winter if I have time for
2 > a day or two. Usually I tend to spend time programming C though.
3 >
4 > Looking at the Gentoo Cygwin wiki, does look like the majority of the
5 > work is completed. :-)
6
7 *sigh* If only that were so...
8
9 I'm the one who wrote the bulk of the wiki article.
10
11 I cranked out a patch for Portage right before there was a major
12 version change (I use "major version" in a spiritual sense), and there
13 have been several major revisions since then. The trickiest part of
14 the whole mess is that Cygwin remaps paths prefixed with // to UNC
15 paths, resulting in long pauses followed by failures (while portage
16 expects // to be the same as /). I tried to be "good" about it in my
17 work and let portage use // when it *really* wants to (conceivably to
18 install to paths over Samba), but in hindsight, that was probably far
19 too optimistic a goal and pointless a purpose. There were also some
20 hard-coded blocks against uname's output that had to be
21 circumvented...
22
23 I've hypothesized, to myself, that prefixed portage may work for
24 Cygwin, but I haven't looked very carefully.
25
26 The Cygwin community has been very closed to the idea of admitting
27 Portage (I've tried), even in light of other package management
28 systems (like RPM) that they support. As an alternative, they have a
29 Portage-like build system (for building setup.ini packages) called
30 cygport, whose community of packages I've seen mentioned elsewhere in
31 this thread.
32
33 The Cygwin chapter of my life has spanned from 1998 to the present,
34 but it's drawing to a close. Before long, I expect to leave the
35 Windows world entirely. Best of luck to you, though I'll keep an eye
36 on this mailing list and offer what advice I can.
37
38 Regards,
39 Jason
42 > --
43 > Roger
44 > http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html
45 > Key fingerprint = 8977 A252 2623 F567 70CD 1261 640F C963 1005 1D61
46 >
47 > Thu Dec 20 14:01:09 AKST 2007
50 > --
51 > gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list