From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:29:56
1 On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 20:27 +0930, Trevor Forbes wrote:
2 > I copied portage over from my main PC which eix reports it as 2.1_pre3-r1.
3 > However, my Cygwin installation is not very clean so there could be
4 > anything hiding in there.
5 That shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as you have python and a toolchain
6 (make/gcc/...)
7
8 > / I think the linker problem was fixed some time ago, but if not it can
9 > be fixed.
10 Would be nice ...
11 > The libc functions can be add when needed.
12 Lots of work.
13 > File semantics can be fixed, the whole Cygwin idea is to look like Linux..
14 Not really :-)
15 Windows takes file semantics from DOS (legacy, no technical reason for
16 that)
17 An open file usually can't be modified - so Cygwin keeps a mapping table
18 to fool you.
19 This is not as reliable as "native" Unix - also many packages make
20 implicit assumptions about e.g. file system layout which don't work well
21 with Cygwin.
22
23 > I don't expect it to be easy, it may in the end, be unworkable. I am
24 > just interested to see how far I can take it. Its just going to be a
25 > slow process...
26 That's why I looked at SFU, it seems to be a bit smarter than Cygwin.
27
28 Patrick
32 gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list