From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello!
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:02:28
1 Eddie Parker wrote:
2 >
3 > roger wrote:
4 >> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 14:30 -0800, Eddie Parker wrote:
7 >>> Anyhow, is there anyone listening/reading this mailing list anymore?
8 >>> What's the status of this project, if so?
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> I'm listening, but there hasn't been much activity as far as I know.
12 >>
13 >> I think most would rather spend time programming a native linux program.
14 >>
15 >> 4 or 5 years ago, I used to spend time debugging programs for porting to
16 >> cygwin or windows, but I have advanced to other things now.
19 > I can't say I blame you. I've been following the instructions on the
20 > wiki [1], and while I've got it working, it seems that most packages
21 > require tweaking to get to work... I can imagine the debugging would be
22 > intensive to, when things don't work. :(
23 >
24 > That said, if there are people who are interested in this sort of stuff,
25 > it might be nice to see what the status of the previous project
26 > was(/is?). Top of my mind are questions such as:
27 >
28 > 1.- Does anyone know if the Gentoo community is/was willing to have the
29 > 'Cygwin' arch as a 'supported' arch within portage? [2]
30 > 2.- Did any of the previous maintainers/visionaries for this project
31 > have any thoughts about replacing in-use files such as Python? Be-it
32 > through windows' typical "reboot" methodology or some such?
33 > 3.- At the very least, was it/would it be possible to have a script that
34 > create a portage overlay from Cygwin's setup.ini, so you can get binary
35 > packages installed with emerge as a start?
36 >
37 > I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only one to've thought of these
38 > things, so I'm actually just curious if there were technical limitations
39 > to any/all of these that I'm not aware of. Just trying to get a read of
40 > how this project went!
41 >
42 > Cheers,
43 >
44 > -e-
45 >
46 > [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_Cygwin
47 > [2] I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, basically to have
48 > it be an ACCEPTED_KEYWORD, and having ebuilds as part of portage that
49 > support it?
52 I don't run Cygwin at home, but I do run it at work. I have never even
53 attempted to use Gentoo Cygwin. Quite frankly, Cygwin is a crutch. It
54 has no practical business use cases on a Windows server (not that there
55 are many practical business use cases for Windows servers in general,
56 given the license costs.) :)
57
58 On a desktop, nearly all of the open source applications that I use have
59 native Windows ports now, and some of them, for example R, actually have
60 a *better* user interface than the original Linux version. Basically, if
61 you want a Linux desktop, you're better off installing Linux, and if you
62 need a mixed Windows/Linux desktop, you're better off with VMware
63 Workstation.
64
65 Finally, if you are a die-hard Cygwin fan, there is Cygwin-Ports, a
66 community that is far more active than Gentoo Cygwin. And Cygwin's
67 package management system isn't all that bad on its own. But it ain't Linux.
68 --
69 gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list