From: roger <roger@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello!
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:03:12
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 05:58 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> > I don't run Cygwin at home, but I do run it at work. I have never even > attempted to use Gentoo Cygwin. Quite frankly, Cygwin is a crutch. It > has no practical business use cases on a Windows server (not that there > are many practical business use cases for Windows servers in general, > given the license costs.) :)
Basically see Cygwin as a crutch too for getting Linux or Open Source apps compiling within the Win32 platform. From my experience, doesn't take much except fixing linking libraries, etc. Nowadays, it's probably even easier as most of the fixes are already done, or there's a work around for a missing lib.
> > On a desktop, nearly all of the open source applications that I use have > native Windows ports now, and some of them, for example R, actually have > a *better* user interface than the original Linux version.
Think they just link the user interface libraries in from windows, but thought they used cygwin/ming to compile the open source apps (aka for porting apps).
> Basically, if > you want a Linux desktop, you're better off installing Linux, and if you > need a mixed Windows/Linux desktop, you're better off with VMware > Workstation.
I'm mixed on this one. If you need a Windows application while running Linux utilizing USB or some other peripheral, Vmware (costs $) or VirtualBox (free/open source) are good choices. Otherwise, some variation of Wine will probably do the trick. But basically, he's correct. If I'm using *any* Windows boxes, I still want all the luxuries of the command line console (rxvt) with tools such as bash, wget, ping, etc. Window's ping tool just plainly sucks ;-)
> Finally, if you are a die-hard Cygwin fan, there is Cygwin-Ports, a > community that is far more active than Gentoo Cygwin. And Cygwin's > package management system isn't all that bad on its own. But it ain't Linux.
However, i386 compiled Bash is agonizingly slow. If I plan on using cygwin any length of extended time, I *will* recompile & install bash utilizing "-O3 -march=pentium3". Who knows, maybe I'll pickup this project this Winter if I have time for a day or two. Usually I tend to spend time programming C though. Looking at the Gentoo Cygwin wiki, does look like the majority of the work is completed. :-) -- Roger http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html Key fingerprint = 8977 A252 2623 F567 70CD 1261 640F C963 1005 1D61 Thu Dec 20 14:01:09 AKST 2007 -- gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list