From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:22:39
1 On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:15, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 January 2004 12:10, Dan Armak wrote:
3 >
4 > > AFAICS, the only truly encompassing solution would be to provide an
5 > > interface of sorts to a console. The user could view and edit commands
6 > > generated by the installer, see their raw output, pause operation and
7 > > insert commands of his own, etc. If he wanted to use something not yet
8 > > provided by the installer, he'd just tell it to skip a step and do it
9 > > manually.
10 >
11 > This comes very close to my "split-screen-installer" idea where the bottom
12 > would be a console and the top a helper function (ranging from simple docs to
13 > something way more advanced)
14
15 I say we just have a button somewhere that replaces a certain area of
16 the screen with a console and can switch back when the user is done
17 using console for whatever reason.
18
19 We'd also need a way to skip certain steps of the installation, since
20 they could be done in "manual mode."
21
22 Donnie