From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:26:10
1 On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:22, foser wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 06:35, Eric Sammer wrote:
3 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~esammer/gentoo_installer_project.txt
4 > >
5 > > Please take a look and share any constructive comments and suggestions.
6 >
7 > Besides the fact that the document disregards most of the discussion
8 > here on the D&R list so far concerning an installer. It -in my opinion-,
9 > like most other installer projects (except pen2), describes an installer
10 > that is a full replacement for the current installation process, which i
11 > think shoots way beyond the target audience of an installer.
12
13 I think the reason a lot of people switch to Gentoo is what they hear
14 about the customizability and flexibility. If we take that away from
15 them in the first thing they do (using the installer), they might decide
16 Gentoo wasn't such a good idea after all.
17
18 Donnie