From: Nathaniel McCallum <natem@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:08:21
On Jan 24, 2004, at 9:55 AM, foser wrote:
> > Is this a question ? We must not confuse things here, if you say 'is > this the way an installer should be heading?' i say yes. If you mean if > this is the way Gentoo is heading, no. In my opinion the installer > should be aimed at the lower skill levels, because the higher skill > levels appreciate the power and hands-on feeling that the current > install process gives them.
I know that I'm not a dev, but I soon hope to be. However, I have a lot of experience writing installers for Gentoo (GLIS). I totally disagree with picking a target group for a gentoo installer. I think an installer can very easily appeal to all groups. The only difference in installers between the easy installer and the advanced installer is the amount of defaults that are chosen for the user. This is really not hard to implement. Nathaniel -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list