From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:57:44
1 On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 01:07, Tiemo Kieft wrote:
2 > > 3. Gtk2: I am thinking that this may not be the best interface to use.
3 > > How will this fair with those putting gentoo on very slow/old machines.
4 > > Also for those doing an install through ssh would not be able to benifit
5 > > from this. Maybe curses would be the way to go? There are already many
6 > > tools that are already made for curses(menuconfig, ufed, net-setup). Or
7 > > heck maybe there could be support for both.
8 >
9 > This actually is one of the requirements for the installer as well as
10 > the config tools. It was discussed in the desktop-research meeting. We
11 > really want to support both.
12
13 I think it's a pretty silly idea to support multiple backends. Afaic
14 it's about a GUI installer, so ncurses isn't really what we are after.
15 You always will get compared to other installers which aren't curses
16 anymore. The people installing over SSH aren't the new users a GUI
17 installer is targeted at anyway.
18
19 As far as the choice for a widget set, gtk2 seems logical to me. It may
20 be allegedly slow on older systems, but we're talking about 3 buttons on
21 a screen here. And if the installer is considered slow, well what's
22 gonna happen when someone does a GRP install of stable GNOME or KDE.
23 That's gonna be real slow desktop-ing.
24
25 You just shouldn't try to create something like an installer for
26 everybody, just target your wanted audience and thats it. I'd say the
27 target audience here is new (linux) users on fairly up-to-date systems.
28
29 What i saw from the installer here is pretty much what I'd like to see
30 from a final product : only a few steps, basic system setup so you can
31 be up and installing in no-time, don't ask for conformation on all sorts
32 of specific apps you never heard of (eg. in a desktop situation it's
33 hard enough for a new person to know the difference between GNOME &
34 KDE). For an 'expert mode' I would point to our well documented manual
35 installation process.
36
37 - foser
41 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list