From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:05:08
On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 02:26, Steve Barnhart wrote:

> I particularly disagree with that on some parts. I like gentoo's install > right now, its fast and so well documented its not really hard at all.
That is correct it is not hard really, but i would use the word 'intimidating' for the current install. People scare away from a lengthy installation manual, I think we should be aiming to accommodate those users. Creating a GUI installer that is as powerful as the current install process makes such a GUI installer most likely complicated and as scary as the current process.
> On > the other hand I like good looking things :-). I like a nice look and brand > every once in a while and I think a good gui installer would look nice. The > look is sometimes what attracts me to a distribution or one software choice > over another (I know this sounds stupid). I mean if one piece of software > sucks really badbut has a nice gui then I won't use it but if 2 r equal I'll > choose the better looking one.
Isn't a simple GUI installer more attractive than a complicated one? I'd rather go for the '5 steps to install Y' than the '27 and a 1/2 steps to install Y' software. We're not aiming at our power users here, we're aiming at the ones that make decisions based on looks alright. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list