From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:31:44
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 20:00, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> Well, actually the ttf fonts are the best looking on my system (yes and non-AA > in the sizes 8-17 as I don't like fuzzy fonts). I agree that bitmap fonts > give better results, but only if they are not scaled. What also goes wrong > sometimes is ps fonts.
You shouldn't scale bitmaps.. i mean _quality_ bitmaps, where there's proper bitmaps for every size.
> They have to, if say, the desktop-guide would give that information it would > save them (and me, as my girlfriend wants to be able to read and write > Chinese (simplified)) a lot of headaches.
Nah, much to dense for a desktop-guide. An extra doc referenced ok i can see that, but this should be optional info. For a normal user the defaults should do. Documentation is only as good as it is thin, see the current install docs for how it gets out of hand. In my opinion there's way too much unneeded cruft in there, all these little notes and subsections make it less and less usable. We should beware of that phenomenon in another important user guide.