From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Future focus area for the project
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:10:04
Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
> Hi all.
hi ^^
> Examples of "suitably sized problems" may be > ) Printing for home users
I'm not in mood of writing a cups front-end, kcontrol printer front-end is already perfect. we should just make sure cups+needed drivers are installed
> ) Deployment of Gentoo on 50+ identical desktops
nfs/coda would be useful, we have to make a front-end for the laziest
> ) Proper plug'n'play support for USB devices
udev is supposed to address that but isn't ready yet, I think that is a too complex task for us alone.
> ) Nicer package upgrade and installation > - I want a directory of packages that the user can peruse before > installing. In that directory, I want for each package: > - a screenshot
overkill :: space requirement
> - a long and thorough description, including license, deps
doable: generated from metadata/ebuild
> - a link to the package's home page
same
> - a link to the package's currently open bugs, who's the > maintainer
same
> - suggested accompanying packages
interesting Here another item Let's discuss about vfs implementation for portage like kio/gnome-vfs plus a proper kpart/bonobo component or a html generator. not sure how to make the same for the other DE/wm but E17's evidence. This is the idea: -- from a file browser (say konqueror or nautilus) user can do portage://cat/pkg/ and then see all the data he needs to have to chose an application he likes then he can just click on install and the app will be emerged, the portage:// would be searchable and the file browser will show additional buttons like [sync] -- from a stand alone app (say a new kportage/gportage) the user will have the same thing w/out the needs of the file browser. see ya lu -- Luca Barbato Developer Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~lu_zero -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list