From: Steve Barnhart <sbarnhart@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:26:54
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: foser [mailto:foser@g.o]
3 Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:48 PM
4 To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
6
7 On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:14, Scott Koch wrote:
8 > I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching
9 > from other linux distributions.
10
11 Yes maybe, probably coming from MDK, RH or Suse, those are usually
12 pretty fresh linux users. What i really meant to say was that the people
13 wanting a GUI installer are the same ones that have little actual linux
14 knowledge (the 'i want it to be simple and just work' people) and not
15 the more geekish crowd that Gentoo on the other side attracts. Those
16 like their installs as it is, with the full power that comes with it.
17 They don't want spiffy UI tools that only hide whats really going on. So
18 you only have to target the first group.
19 [Steve Barnhart]
20 I particularly disagree with that on some parts. I like gentoo's install
21 right now, its fast and so well documented its not really hard at all. On
22 the other hand I like good looking things :-). I like a nice look and brand
23 every once in a while and I think a good gui installer would look nice. The
24 look is sometimes what attracts me to a distribution or one software choice
25 over another (I know this sounds stupid). I mean if one piece of software
26 sucks really badbut has a nice gui then I won't use it but if 2 r equal I'll
27 choose the better looking one.
28
29 - foser
33 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list