From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] BreakMyGentoo - BMG Desktop Gentoo
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:23:47
1 Markus Nigbur <pYrania@g.o> said:
2
3 > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:09:11 +0000
4 > James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > These are some ideas we want to share with you guys at g-d-r.
7 > >
8 > > dams, since you felt this was more of a gdr thing, then I could get
9 > > the thread moved to g-d-r mailing list...
10 > >
11 > > These are ideas that are flying around and are by no means static.
14 > I don't think we should alter a _default_ system like this, but this
15 > would indeed be interesting for livecds or demo cds like we our special
16 > fosdem edition we made.
19 I think we agree on the fact that we don't want to change the default system.
20
21 The idea presented is "the same old thing" as would say foser :)
22
23 Now I'm aware of that, and I suggest that we could discuss on the concept,
24 rather on this particular implementation : maybe it would be good (tm) to have
25 a real official project that try to implement an official "total customized"
26 version of existing ebuilds.
27
28 The idea is just that if they are already guys that want to develop it, and if
29 there is a need, then why not discuss of it and try to handle it the best we
30 can?
31
32 My opinion is that there is a need for "heavily customized" gentoo. Like
33 pyrania says in another mail, it can be usefull for demos/livecd. It can also
34 be usefull for users that want a desktop that installs quickly.
35
36 The gentoo installation is difficult, but not that long actually. If you could
37 emerge a set of packages that ensure you a polished desktop, I'm sure we would
38 gain a lot of users, especially in the redhat/mdk market.
39
40 But if there is no real need or motivation, then there is nothing to discuss
41 about :)
44 PS : about the installation, what is the status of the new installation
45 project?
49 dams
52 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list