From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:32:06
1 On Tuesday 28 October 2003 18:25, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2 > * Discussion/planning phase
3 > - throw a description here, verify validity
4 > - preliminary discussion here and/or irc
5 > - APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below)
6 >
7 > * Prototype phase [no strict deadlines/roadmap, but should be not very
8 > long] - Prepare a testcase or a little code snippet to let everybody play
9 > with possible solution.
10 > - With the help of the other insterested in (small groups or everybody)
11 > let's try to get a fully working program.
12 >
13 I think that we need to be careful here. This "solution" should not be more
14 than 2 hours of work. Other work needs to be done after the glep has been
15 written and issued.
16
17 > * Revision phase [strict deadline]
18 > - add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a
19 > milestone), and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
20 > - assign people to the task, set up deadlines
21 > - all this should be well written in the xml project pages.
22 > - APPROVAL 2 (see below)
23 >
24 I think this should go together with the writing of a GLEP. This glep should
25 also contain the key parts of the discussions of the discussion phase
26 including problem identification (what is the problem), problem acceptation
27 (is this really a problem), problem exploration (what are the causes and
28 possible solutions to the problem) , proposed solution and the merrits of
29 this particular solution. The latter of course from later discussions.
30
31 > * Project tracking
32 > - once the planning phase end with approval (see below), the thing should
33 > end up to a GLEP
34 > - the d-r site should host a little summary of every project with phases
35 > and timings once we are in the Proto phase.
36
37 I think the proto phase can better be called the problem exploration phase.
38 Its purpose to refine the problem and find possible solutions.
41 > Decisions
42 > ---------
43 > We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be strict for
44 > every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for extreme situations.
45 >
46 > APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come to an
47 > agreement that we should handle the case.
48 >
49 > APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of -desktop-research
50 > at this point, like -desktop leader.
53 > What do you think?
54
55 I think we might need to add a few lines about the necessity to make sure that
56 the solution is acceptable to the developers at large. I believe that glep
57 integration is very important to that respect.
60 > As soon as we finish writing this draft, we'll put it officially on the
61 > project page, and we'll be (at last) able to begin the Real Work :)
62
63 certainly.
64
65 Paul