From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:20:40
On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:11, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2004 14:37, Eric Sammer wrote: > > > > Right. It should be (in my opinion) manual package selection by default. > > This is what our (current) users seem to expect, myself included. > > Working primarily with servers, having to choose from groups of packages > > that, no doubt, will contain stuff I don't want in each one is > > problematic and time consuming. > > I think we might order the packages on their leaf status. you normally > wouldn't want to select glibc as a package to include. If you want X you > normally just select your windowmanager etc. Maybe we could even provide some > grouping.
I like the leaf idea, as long as each leaf is provided with a short description as some of the names aren't immediately obvious. If we get dependencies auto-selected and -deselected, this could work out pretty well. We should have a few sane groupings like "Desktop," "Workstation" (desktop plus any extra development stuff) and "Server" as well as a "Custom" where everything is manual. Donnie