From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:28:56
Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk> said:

> > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to > > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago, > > screenie can be found at: > > http://blubber.student.utwente.nl/~blubber/gct.png Although I made it > > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool. > > I'd say that this is fairly mandatory - I remember many years ago when I > first moved to Linux and had a run level editor... the only problem is I > didn't know what a run level was :P > > > 2) Network configuration editor > > Yup. > > > 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including > > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags > > Sounds fair. > > > 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users. > > Again. > > > Suggestions are welcome, keep in mind that we are deciding on which apps > > to make. The individual requirements are the next step. > > I'm wondering how this is to be organised? Are we aiming for seperate > applications to perform the tasks or one pluggable application that can > do them all? (ala Linuxconf). I'd tend to lean towards the latter I > think, as it would mean that different sections of the app. could be > enabled/disabled depending on the user's experience/knowledge or UID :)
we can do plugable applications. in GTK, you can plug an application in another one. It's very simple to do. I'ts used in the mandrake control center, and differently in the gnome control center. It's important to keep in mind that those config tools will be available in console mode, where the gui takes a lot more space (newt/ncurses). So the screen should be simple with only few gui widget to be able to display fine in both mode. Or we do two seperate tools for each mode. There are technical solutions to have one code that works in gtk and ncurses. Maybe the same exists for other toolkits. Anyway it's maybe a little soon to talk about that -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list