From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:00:46
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wednesday 29 October 2003 09:44, dams@×××.fr wrote:
5 > I agree with GLEP integration. What about :
9 > * Exploration phase - GOAL : describe and decide
10 > - throw a description here, verify validity
11 > - preliminary discussion here and/or irc
12 > - Optional : Prepare a prototype, testcase or a little code snippet to
13 > let everybody play.
14 > *** we put it here, it should be done only if usefull, and should
15 > not take time. A lot of problems won't be compatible with prototypes
16 > *** - APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below). The
17 > result should be written to the mailing list and on the xml project
18 > page if we decide to handle the case.
19 >
20 > * Planification phase [strict deadline] - GOAL : have a GLEP
21 > - add new tasks : at least some time to research further (with a
22 > milestone), and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
23 > - one of the tak should be GLEP writing. Possibly one people should
24 > take care that the planification is conforming to GLEP standard
25 > - assign people to the task, set up deadlines
26 > - all this should be well written in the xml project pages, and should
27 > end with a new and shiny GLEP
28 > - APPROVAL 2 (see below)
29 >
30 > xml project pages precisions : their main goal is to organize the
31 > work, and archive what's been done. They should be the canva to the
32 > GLEP and development production.
33 >
34 > GLEP precision : should contain contain the key parts of the
35 > discussions of the discussion phase, problem identification (what is
36 > the problem), problem acceptation (is this really a problem), problem
37 > exploration (what are the causes and possible solutions to the
38 > problem) , proposed solution and the merrits of this particular
39 > solution. The latter of course from later discussions.
40 >
41 > Decisions
42 > ---------
43 > We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be
44 > strict for every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for
45 > extreme situations.
46 >
47 > APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come
48 > to an agreement that we should handle the case.
49 >
50 > APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of
51 > -desktop-research at this point, like leaders and other devs. They
52 > should decide if they approve the GLEP. Maybe we should warn/inform
53 > them before the GLEP
56 I think this looks good. "Plannification phase" is not English, so might
57 become "Planning phase". Further we might want to organize the
58 implementation teams as subprojects. If so, this should be written down
59 explicitly.
60
61 Paul
62