From: Scott Koch <scootersmk@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:16:22
The main thing that will dictate the features, design and capabilities
of the installer is the user group we want to target.  I think everybody
realizes this, and it has be mentioned other places.   I feel  this is
very important we establish this up front.  This way we will all be on
the same page as to what installer will require.

My thoughts on this are as follows:

I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching
from other linux distributions.  I do not think that Gentoo has the
public popularity to attrack a large amount of "new to linux users."
Most of the new to linux users will only choose to go with gentoo when
the majority of stuff they look up about linux is about or mentions
Gentoo.  Maybe stage 2 of the installer project could be an
installer(like the one Karltk was given) that is very simple and targets
users that are new to linux.  If we can get the users to switch to
gentoo from the other distros then the new to linux users are sure to
follow.

Scott