From: Scott Koch <scootersmk@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:16:22
1 The main thing that will dictate the features, design and capabilities
2 of the installer is the user group we want to target. I think everybody
3 realizes this, and it has be mentioned other places. I feel this is
4 very important we establish this up front. This way we will all be on
5 the same page as to what installer will require.
6
7 My thoughts on this are as follows:
8
9 I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching
10 from other linux distributions. I do not think that Gentoo has the
11 public popularity to attrack a large amount of "new to linux users."
12 Most of the new to linux users will only choose to go with gentoo when
13 the majority of stuff they look up about linux is about or mentions
14 Gentoo. Maybe stage 2 of the installer project could be an
15 installer(like the one Karltk was given) that is very simple and targets
16 users that are new to linux. If we can get the users to switch to
17 gentoo from the other distros then the new to linux users are sure to
18 follow.
19
20 Scott
24 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list