From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:58:59
On Monday 26 January 2004 11:57, dams@g.o wrote:
> But before this distinction, I'd like your input about the global direction > of the installer : > > - should it be minimalist : partitioning, network, install X if desktop > oriented, and reboot. At first boot, have configuration tools + software > manager (to install stuff) displayed. This is what I'd prefer, because > there is no duplication, and you could call the config step after install. > > - should it be complete : partitioning, network, different installation > groups, full config (net, users, security, server packages, printing, > sound, ...)
For many configuration purposes it doesn't matter whether you've actually booted this system or are in a chroot. You can offer to run the configurator/package manager or reboot. (Or even integrate the installer and configurator.) If eg a kernel driver is missing, things won't work but won't be broken either; we just need to suggest to the user that he should reboot. What if any things can't be configured normally when in a fully installed chroot? Kernel drivers we don't provide in the install environment. And of course if the env outside the chroot is eg a live system from another partition, you probably don't want to mess with h/w settings. In most cases though you shouldn't care whether you configure things before or after the first reboot, esp. if you don't actually try to run them. -- Dan Armak Gentoo Linux developer (KDE) Matan, Israel Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951