From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] BreakMyGentoo - BMG Desktop Gentoo
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:57:04
1 On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:37 +0000, James William Dumay wrote:
2
3 > Dams (& Friends),
4 > This is the kind of thing we want to work on. It would be nice to get
5 > Gentoos blessing with the project. foser, this isnt a replacement of the
6 > vanilla gentoo/gnome desktop, its just an overlaying bunch of ebuilds
7 > that will make the existing system a little more polished for the
8 > desktop users (and people doing rollouts in organisations).
9
10 I know what it is and i've gone over this before why i think it is a bad
11 idea, I'm not going to repeat myself. Actually, the intial proposal mail
12 in my opinion already lacks so much insight I can't take it very
13 seriously.
14
15 I wonder why everyone is so enchanted by these kind of mails. There are
16 so many rough spots in Gentoo and the gnome specific parts of it and
17 they never get much non-dev attention. It seems like it all needs to be
18 some high profile project to get any volunteers, that's really the thing
19 that bothers me here.
20
21 The building is as strong as it's base. What I miss most in the bmg
22 attitude is the will to actually improve Gentoo the distro, it's all
23 about the coolness factor and little about what needs to be done to get
24 it right. And no, that isn't always the job that gets much attention.
25
26 - foser