From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:14:06
James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org> said:

> Yeah, I sat down and thought about it some more. Heres what I have come > up with. I welcome flames, comments and changes to the document.
ok, below are my comments
> > Gentoo Desktop
The name cannot be Gentoo Desktop, there is already an official gentoo desktop project.
> > Overview > === > The purpose of the "Gentoo Desktop" to to provide a different and Customized > version of the vanilla desktop environment. The desktop will be a > modification of not only applications and Desktop Environment, but small > changes in the Gentoo core, to raise the level of usability and improve ease > of use.
ok, why not
> > Target Audience > === > "Hobbyist" users coming from other distributions, such as RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. > Small to Medium Enterprise Desktop Roll outs > Educational Institutions (Universities, Collages, Secondary and Grade > Schools)
the goals are missing : is it just coolness, or security? polishness? professionalism? ease of use? etc. redhat is polished, professional, but not the easiest to use, for instance.
> > Desktop Environments - Why GNOME? > ===
I'll cut the rest : for me gnome is NOT the dominant desktop environment. KDE is a lot more widely used, more powerfull, more integrated, has more extensions. [...]
> > End Product > === > The end product will be a Gentoo Desktop Livecd and Documentation for installation and configuration of the system. User would boot into a preconfigured and polished GNOME Environment. > > Customisation rundown > === > A quick rundown on the type of customisation for for future discussion. > Base System > - Some kind of "Kernel Profile" with additional device modules using Genkernel or similar tool. > - Hardware detection and configuration scripts and services.
that part is going to be done anyway in the core.
> - Tools for rolling out system and desktop configuation settings.
same, I think this should go mainstream [...]