From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Final thoughts on PortageUI
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:12:55
1 munky@××××××.com said:
2
3 > It sounds to me that for the most part the ideas are liked. I would just
4 > like to sum up the things said.
5 > -Python is a good choice to use
6 > -GTK2 is fine, and perhaps another UI (ncurses) should be available
7 > -A user doesn't want to have to setup a db
8 >
9 > With that said I only have two things to say. Firstly, I think we could
10 > make Postgresql a dependancy and we can setup a file that will
11 > automatically be set. After the program is installed, I hope to have a
12 > brief shell script installer asking some questions perhaps there we can
13 > have the user specify options for the db. I think that it is very easy to
14 > get Postgresql to work.
15
16 Don't use postgresql for that, it's like using an elephant to kill a bug
17 Well that's my opinion... You should go look at sqlite or equivalent products.
18 even berkeley db is good for the use. But no postgresql or mysql or firebird.
19
20 Well what do the others think?
23 > Now that the idea is out, my question is where should I start? As I have
24 > stated I am relatively weak in Python so at this point in time I am
25 > reading O'Reilly's "Learning Python" and focusing on the class structure.
26 > I have written up a short document on the main classes used and what they
27 > will contain. I've done _many_ small projects myself, but never have I
28 > done a huge project like this. Any ideas as to where I should go from now
29 > would be greatly appreciated!
30
31 start with a list of user-side feature. You can then deduce the interaction
32 you'll have with portage.
33
34 Then design data structure and classes of this interaction. Same with the
35 iteraction with the database, and other important things if their exists.
36
37 Then code the portage interaction, and the db interaction. Make some tests to
38 be sure it works. If you have to improve speed it has to be done at this point
39
40 then design and code the GUI.
43 dams
46 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list