From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:44:48
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 21:54, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I think it would be useful to cover these and others, and I think it's > possible to do it in a nonsubjective (or barely subjective) way. Take > the following for example: > > "If you are looking for a complete desktop solution that comes close to > approximating what you would get out of the box from Windows, try GNOME > or KDE. They both have fairly mature component applications, and either > will work well for a full-featured desktop environment. Note that these > are large application sets, and will take a long time to merge.
But GNOME won't take half as much time as KDE on the same machine and on a recent system it's done in a few hours most. Anyway, stage 1-ers will have a great deal of compiling behind them, so the DE is relatively insignificant (well.. except for KDE maybe).
> GNOME > and KDE also don't share a common toolset, so applications written for > KDE will look and act differently than those written for GNOME. XFCE is > a relative newcomer to the full-featured desktop world, and focuses on > speed. It is more lightweight than the others, although it shares many > of the most useful features (note: I don't know XFCE, I've never used it.)
Last time i checked XFCE it wasn't really well balanced and smooth running out of the box.
> On the other hand, if you are looking for a more unix-y environment that > will stay out of your way and give you the ultimate customizability and > speed, you might consider something like WindowMaker or BlackBox.... > (yada yada, here's the differences, here's their reputations, here's > what they're good for, yada yada)"
What's a unix-y environment ? I'm a newcomer to linux here. I got a lot of choice, what do i have to choose ? What i mean to say here is, these are qualitative indications done by one individual and already the amount of different DEs is confusing. Not to mention added WMs (do i get a full desktop with blackbox too?). A little descriptive story like this would be ok, but it should focus on the major DEs : KDE & GNOME and maybe XFCE, not certain about the latter 'from scratch' quality. To my knowledge (but it lacks in this) the first two at least are part of a stage3 iso, so the compilation time issue doesn't even have to be mentioned (people with a stage3 iso do not need to compile anything, others have compiled most of the system all the way and don't expect anything else from that point on). - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list