From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] IMPORTANT definitions draft
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:52:13
yo, this is a first attempt to write definitions and rules. Please correct my
bad english, bring new ideas, precisions, and critics :) Thanks

* Problem that might be handled by desktop-research
 [anybody has a better title?]

A problem is in our field of action if it's about desktop, that is : client
side, end-user oriented workstation use. Basically, that's everything UI
oriented, plus hardware managment, installation problems, simple system
managment, as long as it is client-side oriented, that is, as long as it
doesn't use servers.

Examples:
setting internet/lan connection is desktop, but setting a ftp server is not.
setting sound card, graphic card is desktop, setting hardware RAID is not (well
actually it's becoming pretty widely used, so it might become shortly)

* Problem resolution

- throw a description here, verify validity
- preliminary discussion here
- add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a milestone),
  and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
- assign people tio the task, set up deadlines
- the thing shoul end up to a GLEP

ok this whole thing is not good enough, we need to make it better

--
dams