From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:52:16
Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> said:

> On Monday 26 January 2004 14:37, Eric Sammer wrote: > > > > Right. It should be (in my opinion) manual package selection by default. > > This is what our (current) users seem to expect, myself included. > > Working primarily with servers, having to choose from groups of packages > > that, no doubt, will contain stuff I don't want in each one is > > problematic and time consuming. > > I think we might order the packages on their leaf status. you normally > wouldn't want to select glibc as a package to include. If you want X you > normally just select your windowmanager etc. Maybe we could even provide some > grouping.
The leaf list is a very good idea ! But actually, my concern is that I don't think it's something that is part of the installation. This should be part of a portage frontend, that could be called during installation (in chroot), or at first boot. installation should (imho) install the base system, then reboot (or have a complete chroot), to let the tasks to be done by configuration tools & portage tools -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list