From: James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:24:23
1 On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 13:14 +0100, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2
3 > James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org> said:
4 >
5 > > Yeah, I sat down and thought about it some more. Heres what I have come
6 > > up with. I welcome flames, comments and changes to the document.
7 >
8 > ok, below are my comments
11 > > Gentoo Desktop
12 >
13 > The name cannot be Gentoo Desktop, there is already an official gentoo desktop
14 > project.
15
16 We can call it what ever we want.
22 > > Overview
23 > > ===
24 > > The purpose of the "Gentoo Desktop" to to provide a different and Customized
25 > > version of the vanilla desktop environment. The desktop will be a
26 > > modification of not only applications and Desktop Environment, but small
27 > > changes in the Gentoo core, to raise the level of usability and improve ease
28 > > of use.
29 >
30 > ok, why not
33 > > Target Audience
34 > > ===
35 > > "Hobbyist" users coming from other distributions, such as RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc.
36 > > Small to Medium Enterprise Desktop Roll outs
37 > > Educational Institutions (Universities, Collages, Secondary and Grade
38 > > Schools)
39 >
40 > the goals are missing : is it just coolness, or security? polishness?
41 > professionalism? ease of use? etc. redhat is polished, professional, but not
42 > the easiest to use, for instance.
43 The goal is to make the modification so simple that my grandmother can use it and as well as it seeming proffessional and easy to use.
47 > > Desktop Environments - Why GNOME?
48 > > ===
49 >
50 > I'll cut the rest : for me gnome is NOT the dominant desktop environment. KDE is
51 > a lot more widely used, more powerfull, more integrated, has more extensions.
52 >
53 > [...]
54 Its also got most of the major companies backing it aswell as the best
55 accessabile and inclusive applications around.
59 > > End Product
60 > > ===
61 > > The end product will be a Gentoo Desktop Livecd and Documentation for installation and configuration of the system. User would boot into a preconfigured and polished GNOME Environment.
62 > >
63 > > Customisation rundown
64 > > ===
65 > > A quick rundown on the type of customisation for for future discussion.
66 > > Base System
67 > > - Some kind of "Kernel Profile" with additional device modules using Genkernel or similar tool.
68 > > - Hardware detection and configuration scripts and services.
69 >
70 > that part is going to be done anyway in the core.
71 >
72 > > - Tools for rolling out system and desktop configuation settings.
73 >
74 > same, I think this should go mainstream
75 There is some work for 2.7/.8 being done so that gconf settings can be
76 rolled out over the network.
79 > [...]
82 > > Gentoo Desktop - The First Step
83 > > ===
84 > >
85 > > Milestone 1
86 > > - Report on the Applcation and Services needed on Desktop System
87 > > - System Services - Hardware Detection Services, File/Print Sharing, Printing, etc
88 > > - Applcations - Office Productivity Tools, Internet Tools, Gaming, etc
89 > > - Decide on the appropriate virtuals and USE flags needed for user customization of the desktop.
90 > > - Create gentoo-desktop-x86-2004.0 profile based on the decisions made.
91 > > - Build system with new profile and report on system usability from an end users perspective, noting specific issues to be discuss and delt with in Milestone 2.
92 >
93 > this is a good way to do it. Maybe we should decide before that,
94 >
95 > - do we need/want that
96 Well, if this project was a sucess and went ahead, this could allow
97 Gentoo to become a prefered and major platform for educational and
98 enterprise computing.
99
100 > - how should it be integreated/handled by gentoo
101 For the project itself (initally), we keep it localised as a gdr-project
102 untill we have ran some trials on the system structure.
103 As for infransture, we keep the customised desktop componenet away from
104 the main tree, in its own cvs rep.
105
106 If/when the project comes more mainstream, we can offer a stage/livecd
107 along with the rest of gentoos releases.
108
109 We should also release as often as the mainline gentoo releases to keep
110 version numbering in sync as well as the improvments in the mainline.
111
112 Comments and suggestions?
113
114 ~James