From: Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Desktop - Proposal
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:41:18
1 On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 14:31, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2 > what about a special tool, that would be able to grab your system
3 > configuration, build a profile of it, an dalso be able to apply a profile?
4 >
5 > So that you can install gentoo, with gnome configured as you like it, then ask
6 > this tool to generate you the profile of the system, so that you are enable to
7 > share it, or reuse it on other systems?
8
9 A very interesting idea...
10
11 > The good point of this is that we don't limit the user choice and that we allow
12 > very easy way to automate the customization (profile file distribution).
13 >
14 > The bad news is that you need a tool to grab the system configuration properly.
15 > But maybe it's as simple as diffing the changed files compared to the original
16 > installed one, and file added?
17 >
18 > what do you think?
19
20 As I said, I think it's a nice idea. But I'm not sure if this is even
21 possible to implement. In how much detail do you wan't to clone the
22 system? Just making aprofile to reinstall the same packages at some
23 random other machine is quite easy, but taking _all_ settings with it
24 could be a bit harder.
25
26 Groeten,
27 tiemo