From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] thesis - support - question - ideas ...
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 21:02:40
1 b.n. wrote:
2 >
3 >> Unfortunately, SymphonyOS died -- the founder ran out of his own
4 >> money, essentially. UIs are a *huge* business, and while I applaud
5 >> and encourage basic research and initiative, it's *very* difficult to
6 >> turn such research and initiative into cash.
7 >
8 > That's really sad. I never tried Mezzo or SymphonyOS, but AFAIK it was
9 > extremly interesting.
10 > No one has ever tried to take care of Mezzo? :(
11 I tried them and found them less than satisfying. I don't, for example,
12 think there's such a thing as an "intuitive" user interface.
13 >
14 >> That said, the sort of UI that I think of as the "UI of the future"
15 >> would be a full virtual reality environment with which one could do
16 >> "whole-body interaction" with a computer. How about an exercise
17 >> bicycle with a keyboard and mouse on the handlebars? A wall-sized
18 >> keyboard one could punch with boxing gloves? Drag-and-drop with
19 >> objects that actually weigh something?
20 >
21 > I hope you're kidding... :)
22 Not really ... the alternative would be a wireless wearable that you
23 could carry around with you and use while taking long hikes in the woods.
26 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list