From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:25:20
1 dams@×××.fr said:
2
3 Field of Interest
4 -----------------
5
6 An issue is related to the desktop if it is : client side or end-user oriented
7 workstation use. Basically, that's everything UI oriented, plus hardware
8 management, installation problems as well as simple system management.
9 Basically, if it is client side and doesn't use servers, it is our
10 responsability.
11
12 Examples:
13 setting internet/lan connection is desktop, but setting a ftp server is not.
14 setting sound card, graphic card is desktop
15
16 Problems Resolution
17 -------------------
18
19 * Discussion/planning phase
20 - throw a description here, verify validity
21 - preliminary discussion here and/or irc
22 - APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below)
23
24 * Prototype phase [no strict deadlines/roadmap, but should be not very long]
25 - Prepare a testcase or a little code snippet to let everybody play with
26 possible solution.
27 - With the help of the other insterested in (small groups or everybody) let's
28 try to get a fully working program.
29
30 * Revision phase [strict deadline]
31 - add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a milestone),
32 and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
33 - assign people to the task, set up deadlines
34 - all this should be well written in the xml project pages.
35 - APPROVAL 2 (see below)
36
37 * Project tracking
38 - once the planning phase end with approval (see below), the thing should end
39 up to a GLEP
40 - the d-r site should host a little summary of every project with phases and
41 timings once we are in the Proto phase.
42
43 Decisions
44 ---------
45 We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be strict for
46 every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for extreme situations.
47
48 APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come to an
49 agreement that we should handle the case.
50
51 APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of -desktop-research at
52 this point, like -desktop leader.
55 What do you think?
56
57 As soon as we finish writing this draft, we'll put it officially on the project
58 page, and we'll be (at last) able to begin the Real Work :)
61 dams
64 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list