From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:45:56
On Saturday 24 January 2004 01:47, foser wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:14, Scott Koch wrote: > > I think the target should be users that are "new to Gentoo" switching > > from other linux distributions. > > Yes maybe, probably coming from MDK, RH or Suse, those are usually > pretty fresh linux users. What i really meant to say was that the people > wanting a GUI installer are the same ones that have little actual linux > knowledge (the 'i want it to be simple and just work' people) and not > the more geekish crowd that Gentoo on the other side attracts. Those > like their installs as it is, with the full power that comes with it. > They don't want spiffy UI tools that only hide whats really going on. So > you only have to target the first group.
I personally probably would use the installer for installing. I really have no desire for entering all the commands on the command line while a click on a button -> system installed works great with exactly the same result. What might be an alternative would be a splitscreen installer that on the top of the screen offers a roadmap and a description on what to do. On the bottom is a commandline on which the actual commands can be given. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net