From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:10:21
1 On Saturday 24 January 2004 21:58, Gytis Raciukaitis wrote:
2 >
3 > 5) printer manager. At least for CUPS.
4 This is allready in kde, also I find http://localhost:631/ to be the best way
5 to configure cups. A tool might be possible to assist in some of the settings
6 not available through these tools (think access control etc)
7
8 > 6) device manager. kernel modules, module parameters, usb devices.
9 We would first need to make a manual for doing this, then make a tool that can
10 support it. I think it is not a priority right now.
11
12 > 7) Date, time, locale configuration.
13 Timezone and locale I agree (it also needs some research on how to set it
14 properly). For date and time there are allready too many tools.
15
16 > 8) Font configurator.
17 Offered by kde at least. I don't know about gnome. It could be improved
18 though. A manual though has a greater priority as it would describe how to do
19 the things that the tool should do.
20
21 > 9) Samba, FTP - include simple file sharing setup and management for
22 > inexperienced users and most likely for basic start.
23
24 For inexperienced users I would reccomend agains ftp as it is unsecure. Samba
25 has an excellent configurator in swat.
26
27 > 10) Global gentoo specific configuration, interface for rc.conf.
28 >
29 > if we could make the whole thing modular and provide good API, the list
30 > could evolve.
31
32 That allmost sounds like linuxconf.
33
34 > First of all let's decide what level of tools we need. All the hackers
35 > outthere will be using good ol' "vi some.conf" method, but for new users
36 > these tools and the ease of use might be a critical point in choosing
37 > Gentoo.
38
39 For me the tools should be helpfull in daytoday administration of gentoo. I
40 don't think we should target newbees. When things are a bit more complicated
41 it forces people to think first, and then press the button. This does not
42 mean that things should be overcomplicated. It just means that the tool
43 should not make decisions for you (like the rest of gentoo tries to avoid
44 that). Not making decisions for the user means to me that a configuration
45 tool should aim at supporting every configuration possible and especially
46 should never ever preclude the use of alternative configuration tools (ever
47 tried to configure cups with the redhat tool? they conveniently forgot the
48 privileged port option, so you cannot use the tool at all, but they do put
49 many warnings against not editing the file)
50
51 Paul
54 Paul de Vrieze
55 Gentoo Developer