From: dams@g.o
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Report of the desktop-research meeting.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:02:14
1 Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o> said:
2
3 > On (01/20/04 14:47), foser wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Tseng sees the real desktop issues as secondary, while the installer is not
6 > > a desktop thing as such (you never see it beyond your install). I
7 > > personally think such a vast project (it is a lot) is really beyond the
8 > > scope of this team and at least is not a good way to start defining what
9 > > this team is supposed to do. You yourself imply that any installer release
10 > > up to at least 2004.1 is very unlikely, I'm afraid it's gonna suck
11 > > resources from places where the desktop needs them.
12 >
13 > Installalling a desktop is a major part of the use experience between
14 > distributions. Having a GUI installer is what I see to the the most requested
15 > feature from our users, who imo should have a large drive in our development.
16 > Also, I simply asked for desktop research to discuss this topic at the
17 > meeting, they chose it as a topic for further review without me present. I
18 > asked it to be clear that I was not aiming for the actual coding of the
19 > installer as an immediate atainable goal, this has happened and failed
20 > several times already.
23 > What I asked is for this excellent research team to draw up clear
24 > expectations for the installer, what we want it to do, and create a roadmap
25 > for realistic completion. This will allow us to find the skilled resources
26 > needed to reach milestones, rather than isolated developers w/ their own
27 > incompatible visions of the installer.
28
29 I think that's the way to go. Some brain storming (some of that has already be
30 discussed here):
31
32 personnal idea : have a minimalistic installation (it'll configure only what it
33 needs to be installed). The rest is left to the gentoo config tools after the
34 installation. If needed, the first boot can be special, with easy
35 access/presentation to the config tools. Major argument : don't develop the
36 configuration tools 2 times (one in install, one after install).
37
38 So what's left :
39 configure hard drive, partitioning, network, choose minimal installation to do
40 (masked unmasked, etc), root passwd, user additions.
41
42 You end up with a minimal gentoo installed, ready to be configured, and
43 installed. X might be emerged by the installer, but left in default
44 configuration that works almost everywhere. On the first boot, X shows up, and
45 propose you to condifure and install stuff (among them kde, gnome). It can be a
46 wizard. No window manager needed. You should have the same kind of things if
47 you choosed not to have X emerged by the installer.
48
49 The goal : do the minimum at install time, -> less work.
50
51 hardware detection : you only need to detect : harddrive, cdrom, network card,
52 modem,
53 usb modem, usb storage/harddrive, floppy, very basic video card detection, usb
54 cdrom, usb adsl modems, mouse, keyboard, and thatt's all !
55
56 The beauty of that, is that because you need to detect very few things, you can
57 do that well. And add unusual detection, like usb cdrom, network boot and so on.
60 dams
63 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list