From: Tiemo Kieft <blubber@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Configuration Tools
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:03:59
1 > > Since noone seems to have any comment on this, we can start with step 2.
2 > > We have to decide which tools are actually going to be designed. I
3 > > propose the following, comments are, naturally, welcome :) :
4 > >
5 > > 1) Runlevel editor: to add and remove services from runlevels, and to
6 > > start, stop and restart services. I actually made this, some time ago,
7 > > screenie can be found at:
8 > > http://blubber.student.utwente.nl/~blubber/gct.png Although I made it
9 > > myself completely, it's based on redhats tool.
10 >
11 > This seems quite obvious to me
12
13 Yes, well redhat's editor is very nice, ie the GUI. It just a waste of
14 time to come up with a new gui :). That's what opensource is all about
15 isn't it?
16
17 > What exactly do you mean by this. A network interface configurator?
18
19 A tool you can use to configure your network connection. So it basically
20 should edit /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and add the
21 appropriate links to /etc/init.d/.
24 > > 3) Portage editor: to edit all variables in /etc/make.conf, including
25 > > selecting mirrors, and adding use-flags
28 > What would be great is an editor that would also allow the specification of
29 > package use flags (with nice descriptions etc.) and mask/unmask as supported
30 > by the prereleases.
31
32 That's more someting to think about when we reach step 3. But it
33 certainly would be nice :).
34
35 > > 4) User administration tool: to administrate local users.
36 >
37 > Gentoo is for this not different to any other distro. While we might want to
38 > create a superior user editing tool with say kerberos and ldap support, I
39 > don't think it should have priority. We could of course just addapt a general
40 > one to get the same look-and-feel.
41
42 True, we might as well borrow redhat's tool. And later on, we can extend
43 it to support for instance ldap. Again, opensource rules :)
44
45 Groeten,
46 Tiemo.
47 --
48 Gentoo Linux Documentation developer & Desktop Research member
49 Dutch Documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/nl/index.xml
50 Desktop Research: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/research/
51 blubber@g.o | http://dev.gentoo.org/~blubber/
52
53 Public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E9E3A6
54 Key fingerprint = 6749 CD77 B577 D615 4B3C A082 C430 0ACD E3E9 E3A6
58 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list