From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] desktop problems
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:35:58
Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> said:

> On Monday 20 October 2003 12:47, dams@×××.fr wrote: >> Here is a repetition of what could describe a desktop problem that fall >> into our field of research. What do you think? >> >> >> For me, a desktop problem is not always a problem wich involve window >> managers, or graphical interface. >> >> I would tend to say that desktop means workstation for private use, client >> side. That is, everything UI oriented. That includes windows manager, but >> also config programs, installation problems, software installations, and >> simple (client-side personal use) system managment. By client side I mean >> everything that does not use servers. So setting internet/lan connection is >> desktop, but setting a ftp server is not. >> >> In addition, bringing hardware to work for home user is also part of the >> job. > > I agree with this. Everything associated with a workstation is within the > desktop focus. So setting up simple lan connections is related, multihomed > machines not.
Ok, I think we can start something based on this. so we have a first definition of problems that are handled by us, and some basic descriptions of how to handle this (GLEP etc). So the next step is to write this down, and refine/precise it. After that we'll be able to work imo. Is that ok with you? -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list