From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo Installer : first checkpoint
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:45:08
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> said:
2
3 > On Wednesday 28 January 2004 14:18, dams@×××.fr wrote:
4 > >
5 > > But I have one major interrogation : in the discussion, it's not clear
6 > > where the installer stops, and where the config starts. We agree that the
7 > > configuration process has to use the config tools, to avoid redundance.
8 > > Now, should the install do minimal install (network + partitioning +
9 > > installing base system - no package choice), then reboot or chroot in the
10 > > new environment, then start various config tools, among them a portage
11 > > frontend, user conf, sound, printing, X, language/i18n, ... ? Or do you
12 > > want these steps to be in the installer GUI? (in the GUI/console concept,
13 > > you could emerge stuff and configure everything by hand in the console, no
14 > > need to reboot/chroot)
15 >
16 > I don't know what we want. However we must remember that the installer CD has
17 > a more rich environment than is available in a base system. I don't think it
18 > is nice to have installation to depend on having any resources like X
19 > available at the running system. To me that means that we don't do the reboot
20 > for some while, instead run the tools which are on the cd from the installer
21 > directly. We could also have it depend on whether the user chooses to install
22 > the configuration tools. If the latter is the case then we can shortcircuit
23 > the installation phase and reboot after these are installed.
24
25 ok agreed, we launch the config tools from the cds. Fine for me :)
28 dams
31 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list