From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Framework
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:26:07
1 I'd like to propose TwistedMatrix as portage-ng dev framework. Twisted is an
2 asynchrone (event driven) network framework, written in python. It should
3 allow us to :
6 - Make portage-ng a real server (which could be run via /etc/init.d/...)
7 - Make portage-ng modulable
8 - Make portage-np portable (twisted is avaible, like python, on linux / BSD /
9 windows / macos).
10 - Make async query to the package base (which should be in a small relational
11 DB system (like sqlite ?).
12 - Manage roles / security
13 - Easy write guis apps (even webapps with woven).
14 - use the twisted unit test framework, with a build bot (greatly improve the
15 quality of the developped product).
16 - use plug-ins for portage (twisted has a plugin system).
17 - Send portage events with various protocols (irc / mail / im / etc. ->
18 twisted supports a LOT of protocols, and they are easy to implement).
19
20 - And I surely forget some really cool features.
21
22 I'd like to be in the dev team if you choose to use twisted. I've started an
23 app to manage portage (current) with woven (just started the projet, so it's
24 prepreprealpha stuff ;p ) :
25
26 http://wwwetu.utc.fr/~plafoucr/gentoo/gat.tgz
29 Philippe