From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:52:53
On Monday 26 January 2004 16:33, Eric Sammer wrote:
> While I believe that being able to pause between steps and drop to a > shell is a useful feature (especially for those learning), I don't think > it's absolutely required.
I think it's useful beyond learning. You can never provide for _all_ situations in the installer frontend. In fact, I agree with my reading of your document: that the installer should somehow allow for _all_ situations, even those we don't foresee. So I think we should at least let the user skip any step, pause and access a shell at any point. My idea in fact was to provide as much freedom as possible - tell the user what we think he should do but never force him, even with things like step ordering and doing a step twice. The user shouldn't have to know what to do next, but if he does know better than the installer he should be able to override its suggestions. With such a design you could still provide interfaces for whatever you wanted, and the average user wouldn't ever know about it, but in exotic setups the installer would still be mostly useable; it wouldn't be an all-or-nothing thing.
> Someone (klieber, maybe) suggested a console view to display what hte > installer was actually doing which might not be a bad idea. The Mac OS X > installer has a "view log" menu item that displays just about > everything it's doing down to detected disks and the like. I think > something like this might be good. The console install can do the same > by supplying an option to switch to a log view. It's all pretty open ended.
To me this is a must-have feature. When something goes wrong, this display is necessary for a meaningful bugreport - think "emerge glibc dies 1h27m after starting" errors. We also need to be able to display the output of config commands in case of errors. Finally, this can be a temporary measure until we have proper emerge progress bars. -- Dan Armak Gentoo Linux developer (KDE) Matan, Israel Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951