From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o, lafou@×××××××.fr
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Per-package USE descriptions
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 07:53:35
1 Quoting Philippe Lafoucrière <lafou@×××××××.fr>:
2
3 > On Monday 08 December 2003 13:57, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
4 > > I'd like to propose that we add per-package USE flag descriptions to
5 > the
6 > > package pages on http://packages.gentoo.org. I can't tell you how
7 > many
8 > > times I've sat and wondered what effect a particular flag has on a
9 > > particular package, and the use.desc descriptions are much too brief
11 > > give any kind of useful detail. For example:
12 > >
13 > > "What effect does USE="xml2" have on xfree?"
14 > > "Why does w3m need USE="imlib"?
15 > > "Why should I keep USE="berkdb"?
16 >
17 > please see /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
18
19 That's closer to what I'm talking about, but that only lists the effects of
20 local (non-standard) USE flags. I'm talking about local package-specific
21 descriptions for global flags.
25 Joel Konkle-Parker
26 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
27