From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:42:08
1 Rune Morling <gentoo@××.dk> said:
2
3 > On 11/18/03 03:07:19, munky@××××××.com wrote:
4 >> In that case, we should establish what programs we would like to
5 >> include
6 >> in this. First, perhaps it would be more intelligent to establish
7 >> categories:
8 >
9 > [snip]
10 >
11 > Nice initiative. Might I suggest you maintain this list and add it to
12 > the desktop-research project pages?
13 >
14 > In general, there exist several 'best of breed' applications for
15 > different environments so how about adding what apps are native
16 > to which DE? I run gnome 2.4 exclusively (this mail is written using
17 > the gnome2 MUA balsa which works wonderfully), some run mixed
18 > environments, some run pure KDE and yet others run XFCE and
19 > some even run a 'non DE' with fluxbox et al.
20 >
21 > I think it would make the most sense if we target our efforts on the
22 > 'de facto' DE standards (drag n' drop, mime-database etc as embodied
23 > in KDE, gnome and XFCE).
24 >
25 > In other words if someone decides that fluxbox is really cool,
26 > rxvt+mutt is the only 'non-bloated' MUA solution, drag n' drop
27 > is a some fancy new-fangled concept of no real use, mime-type-handling
28 > is a shortlived fad, then, well, he/she isn't really in the target
29 > audience for the 'gentoo desktop experience'.
30 >
31 > Anyway, target audience is a central concept and I can't help but
32 > wonder where we are in this respect. Comments please!
33
34 Please read the manifest
35 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/research/manifest.xml), there is a
36 definition of what a desktop related issue is. Thus you can see what
37 application should be handled or not.
40 dams
43 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list