From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:33:18
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:09, dams@×××.fr wrote:
> If I see correctly, the things that makes ugly fonts : > > - bad looking fonts > - missing fonts (so it uses not suited ones) > - badly configured xft*/fontconfig > - software not using last freetype/xft ... > > ( feel free to add reasons if I missed som) > > So, to clarify, we could : > - run some test to see if fonts are ugly in common use in different languages > (I'll do some test cause I have a fresh gentoo)
Here you already have a problem, the perception of font quality differs per-person and language. Some people really dislike AA (requires different fonts to be good), others use different types of displays, etc. And not latin language users usually know that they need extra packs to have decent support, don't expect anything non-latin to look good by default atm.
> - go through default available fonts (after having emerged kde and gnome), and > list the ugliest ones
Again this is mostly a personal thing and it currently also depends on how you install xfree (this is in flux).
> - check the fontconfig, xft configurations > - list known software that doesn't use the good font systems.
That is not something up to us really, i don't feel it is our duty to make legacy applications look good, what matters to me is to get a current desktop (KDE/GNOME/XFCE4) reasonably ok/consistent looking fontwise (for as far as it isn't).
> Whith that done we'll be able to see where the problems are, wnd decide if we > want to : > - wait > - try to get new fonts (many additional set of fonts by default) > - change font configuration > - change software so that they use latest technology (I have seen in the past > some patchs to make this and that use freetype2, I think OpenOffice had such a > patch, but I thougt it was in the main now)
It uses freetype2 allright, but it's own copy.
> In addition, we can think of making font managment easy for the user. (I wrote > the font managment tool for mandrakeLinux, he had some working features, but > uses old font tools).
Ehm, no please. Config defaults should be good enough, users should not be exposed to this via another GUI. Gnome already has a sufficient font settings panel and ways to install fonts, so does KDE to my knowledge. I don't like more ways to set the same thing on the same level (in this case on GUI level), it is confusing.
> btw do we have i18n/fonts gurus @ gentoo?
a few i18n wannabees.. but they're not the most active devs. I'm supposed to be the font guru cause i've handled bugs/updates in these things for some time and did most of the xft2 move coordination/work. Although they are connected, setting up fonts has little to do with i18n. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list