From: "Eli M. Dow" <dowem@××××××××.edu>
To: "gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o" <gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] new to the list
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:05:21
1 With regards to choice we felt for obvious [1] reasons that the
2 graphical installer should try to limit choices and make heavy use of
3 auto-detection. We did preserve the ability to alt-<some fn here> to
4 drop into the framebuffer console to cary on with the installation as is
5 done now.
6
7 During the research phase of our project, the survey we conducted among
8 our target audience showed 50 percent were interested in making choices
9 for customization, while the other 50 percent simply chose to "go with
10 the defaults" on everything. We felt that we allowed a level of
11 customization acceptable to please the customization crowd while still
12 providing a simple installation method.
13
14 The kickstart feature we have planned is also aimed at power users who
15 simply wish for a completely automated cloning procedure for an existing
16 system.
17
18 The biggest decision we made regarding user choice was to chose gnome as
19 our supported desktop environment. The framework we have created should
20 allow anyone to make a "KDE edition" or a "fluxbox edition" with minimal
21 effort (etc...).
26 [1] - obvious in terms of our target user personas
27