From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:02:58
1 On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 04:28, dams@g.o wrote:
2 > you are probably right on the installer part : it's maybe too big for the
3 > -research to develop it. But I think it's still a good thinkg to talk about it,
4 > with logs, meeting reports and so on. It might be good to have at least
5 > organized and written notes on the subject, even if we don't bring anything
6 > new. Installer development should not be held by the -research imo, but
7 > Installer research can be :)
8
9 Oh you of little faith. Someone approached karltk at LWE with a
10 completed python+gtk2 installer. See http://pen2.sclab.clarkson.edu/.
11
12 I quote Karl:
13 "What's more, they're going to be working actively on this
14 irrespectively of whether we officially start using it or not. I
15 personally would think it completely stupid not to seriously consider
16 this most generous offer; they are an entire sw development team, they
17 seem organised, they have api docs, and they're long-time gentoo users.
18 Having them do most of the dirty-work, leaves us to do integration and
19 tweaks, to polish this thing off."
20
21 An old snapshot of source is at:
22 http://www.clarkson.edu/class/cs450/fa2003/projects/gentoo/pen2.tar.gz.