From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:16:16
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 > For many configuration purposes it doesn't matter whether you've actually
3 > booted this system or are in a chroot. You can offer to run the
4 > configurator/package manager or reboot. (Or even integrate the installer and
5 > configurator.) If eg a kernel driver is missing, things won't work but won't
6 > be broken either; we just need to suggest to the user that he should reboot.
7
8 I think that most of these situations are predictable so the user can be
9 well informed of such things. In fact, there's very little that I'm
10 aware of that *has* to happen post reboot, but I'm certainly willing to
11 learn. :)
12
13 > What if any things can't be configured normally when in a fully installed
14 > chroot? Kernel drivers we don't provide in the install environment. And of
15 > course if the env outside the chroot is eg a live system from another
16 > partition, you probably don't want to mess with h/w settings. In most cases
17 > though you shouldn't care whether you configure things before or after the
18 > first reboot, esp. if you don't actually try to run them.
21 I suppose things such as certain wireless card modules and the like have
22 to be built again the *booted* kernel - that's the kind of situation
23 were things can / should be done in post flight. I'm starting to think
24 that the post flight operations such as additional package installation
25 (say postfix, apache, postgres, etc.) and configuration file
26 distribution should be done post reboot. Or maybe there's a post flight
27 for pre reboot and post - I don't know. These are excellent questions.
28
29 Thanks for the comments.
30 --
31 Eric Sammer