From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] BreakMyGentoo - BMG Desktop Gentoo
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:05:08
foser <foser@g.o> said:

> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:37 +0000, James William Dumay wrote: > > > Dams (& Friends), > > This is the kind of thing we want to work on. It would be nice to get > > Gentoos blessing with the project. foser, this isnt a replacement of the > > vanilla gentoo/gnome desktop, its just an overlaying bunch of ebuilds > > that will make the existing system a little more polished for the > > desktop users (and people doing rollouts in organisations). > > I know what it is and i've gone over this before why i think it is a bad > idea, I'm not going to repeat myself. Actually, the intial proposal mail > in my opinion already lacks so much insight I can't take it very > seriously. > > I wonder why everyone is so enchanted by these kind of mails. There are > so many rough spots in Gentoo and the gnome specific parts of it and > they never get much non-dev attention. It seems like it all needs to be > some high profile project to get any volunteers, that's really the thing > that bothers me here. > > The building is as strong as it's base. What I miss most in the bmg > attitude is the will to actually improve Gentoo the distro, it's all > about the coolness factor and little about what needs to be done to get > it right. And no, that isn't always the job that gets much attention.
I - surprisily - agree with you. But I had this idea in mind : if people that do this "coolness" stuff could : - agree on precises goal/tasks - develop it The Good Way (tm) - keep it as an addon, to achieve a particular goal Then it will become somehting different of the "just cool, badly coded, useless" stuff. The goal of the idea is to provide ready to use, customized and polished and professional looking desktop for hobyists, and small companies. (Note that "professional looking" doesn't mean anything, it's a buz word). Now, the first thing to discuss is: do we want/need this for gentoo? Even if it's an addon, etc ? If the answer is yes, then we can try to describe the environment it should be coded in, the qa and verification. That would avoid the "only coolness" effect. wdyt ? -- dams -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list