From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop-research] Desktop-ready package administration
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:19:06
1 Hi all.
2
3 Hot on the heels of my previous incendiary, I'm proposing that we should
4 look into getting Gentoo ready for the desktop by making some tweaks on
5 top of Portage and putting out binaries.
6
7 Portage tweaks (some are present, others are not)
8
9 ) Use flags.
10 - we should have a cascading scheme of useflags
11 /etc/portage/useflags/default
12 /etc/portage/useflags/use.dev-lisp
13 /etc/portage/useflags/use.dev-lisp.bigloo
14
15 If I populate the files above, and emerge dev-lisp/bigloo, the sum
16 (using the same 'sum'ing as portage does with USE="" and /etc/make.conf
17 and /etc/make.profile/make.defaults) default + use.dev-lisp +
18 use.dev-lisp.bigloo
19
20 If I emerge dev-util/bar, only the defaults kick in.
21
22 If I emerge dev-lisp/clisp, only defaults + use.dev-lisp kick in.
23
24 ) Pinning
25 - It must be trivial to "pin" a package on a system, telling portage
26 that under no circumstance should this package be upgraded.
27
28 ) Blocking
29 - It must be trivial to "block" a package on a system, telling portage
30 that under no circumstance should this package be installed.
31
32 ) Sticky USEs
33 - When I do USE="foo bar" emerge foo, then emerge sync, then emerge foo,
34 I want "foo bar" to be used. That is, when I upgrade a package, I want
35 each package to retain their original use flags, overriding the
36 global default
37
38 Binaries
39
40 We should put out a complete GRP for a some of the desktop environments,
41 and focusing on keeping these up to date with any new developments we do.
42 I propose KDE, GNOME and XFce.
43
44 When/if we add proper printing support (with printer autodetection,
45 network printing, yadda-yadda), it should work in _all_ our supported
46 environments. If not, we should reduce our officially supported
47 environments so that we can ensure proper support for all of them.
50 Kind regards,
51
52 Karl T
55 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list