From: dams@×××.fr
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] definitions draft
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:29:43
1 Rune Morling <gentoo@××.dk> said:
2
3 > Dams,
4 >
5 > I have a few comments. I've added a few words to your
6 > writeup - they are marked with _underscores_
7 >
8 > On 10/29/03 09:44:24, dams@×××.fr wrote:
11 >> I agree with GLEP integration. What about :
15 >> * Exploration phase - GOAL : describe and decide
16 >> - throw a description here, verify validity
17 >> - preliminary discussion here and/or irc
18 >> - Optional : Prepare a prototype, testcase or a little code snippet
19 >> to let everybody play.
20 >> *** we put it here, it should be done only if usefull, and should
21 >> not take time. A lot of problems won't be compatible with prototypes
22 >> ***
23 >> - APPROVAL 1 : does it worth it to handle it (see below). The result
24 >> should be written to the mailing list and on the xml project page if
25 >> we decide to handle the case.
26 >
27 > I definitely think the devs who are responsible or directly involved
28 > in whatever problem we're trying to tackle should be consulted during
29 > this phase. They may provide valuable insight on how *NOT* to address
30 > the problem, thereby perhaps shaving off unnecessary discussions.
31
32 that's right. We should add something here. I'll add : - talk with the devs
33 that are the most concern with the issue, get additional infos, ask if there is
34 a good reason not to handle it, inform them that plan to address a GLEP
38 >> * _Draft_ phase [strict deadline] - GOAL : have a GLEP _draft_
39 >> - add new tasks : at least some time to research further (with a
40 >> milestone), and some time to find a solution (with milestone).
41 >> - one of the tak should be GLEP writing. Possibly one people should
42 >> take care that the _draft_ is conforming to GLEP standard
43 >> - assign people to the task, set up deadlines
44 >> - all this should be well written in the xml project pages, and
45 >> should end with a new and shiny GLEP _draft_
46 >> - APPROVAL 2 (see below)
47 >>
48 >> xml project pages precisions : their main goal is to organize the
49 >> work, and archive what's been done. They should be the canva to the
50 >> GLEP and development production.
51 >>
52 >> GLEP precision : should contain contain the key parts of the
53 >> discussions of the discussion phase, problem identification (what is
54 >> the problem), problem acceptation (is this really a problem),
55 >> problem exploration (what are the causes and possible solutions to
56 >> the problem) , proposed solution and the merrits of this particular
57 >> solution. The latter of course from later discussions.
58 >>
59 >> Decisions
60 >> ---------
61 >> We'll try to work together in a friendly manner, so no use to be
62 >> strict for every points. Nevertheless, rules are still usefull for
63 >> extreme situations.
64 >>
65 >> APPROVAL 1 : at the end of the Revision phase, we should try to come
66 >> to an agreement that we should handle the case.
67 >>
68 >> APPROVAL 2 : I think it'd good to warn people outside of
69 >> -desktop-research at this point, like leaders and other devs. They
70 >> should decide if they approve the GLEP. Maybe we should warn/inform
71 >> them before the GLEP
72 >
73 > To quote the GLEP draft itself:
74 >
75 > "GLEP authors are responsible for collecting community feedback on a
76 > GLEP before submitting it for review. A GLEP that has not been
77 > discussed on gentoo-dev@g.o and/or the Gentoo Linux forums [7]
78 > will not be accepted. However, wherever possible, long open-ended
79 > discussions on public mailing lists should be avoided. Strategies to
80 > keep the discussions efficient include setting up a specific forums
81 > thread for the topic, having the GLEP author accept private comments in
82 > the early design phases, etc. GLEP authors should use their discretion
83 > here."
84 >
85 > Hence, the above point that we should probably try to pull in the dev
86 > responsible of whatever it is we're trying to address in a GLEP, before
87 > moving to APPROVAL 1.
88 >
89 > Also, APPROVAL 2 is only *OUR* approval of the GLEP draft. The official
90 > GLEP approval is actually a third and separate approval and thus
91 > strictly speaking, is no longer in our hands alone. The GLEP will only
92 > be supported if we have included a wider audience in typing up the
93 > draft during PHASE2 and before APPROVAL 2.
94
95 ok I add this too.
98 dams
101 gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list